Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 Is Here! What Are You Gonna Do With It?


So many times we watch one year go out and another come in and we don't really notice a difference.  It is amazing that with all that we could be doing in life there are a good majority of us that live our lives in a way that can be very static. How sad it is to live a life that is unmoving, unmotivated and unfulfilled. Making the decision to BE can be quite intimidating to those who have not always lived their lives being present in the moment.  We all at some time or another have been that person for whatever reason.  Our purpose... step beyond the fear and be great.

Past
For me the past is for learning and reflection purposes only.  It is easy to get caught up in the past (good or not) in a way that cripples your ability to move forward because a great past can be just a damaging as a bad past.  People will tend to not reach beyond either one out of insecurity, complacency or fear.  It is just not a way to truly live a life that offers something worthwhile to ourselves or to others.

Future
In my opinion we could spend entirely too much time thinking about or worrying about the future. It's perfectly normal to plan for your future but if we do it in a way that doesn't allow for the variables that life WILL add... it can be a deterrent to the present. I don't like stress or drama so for me to be overly preoccupied with what is to come lends itself to a life that I don't function well within.

Present 
I am all about living in the moment.  There was a time that I didn't do that very well.  There was much trial and error but I have accomplished the goal of making NOW the most important part of life for me.  When you have kids there can be a tendency to think that you always have to give them "things" for them to have great lives that are memorable.  I always knew even before my daughter was born that I wanted to be there for her by being present in as many of her memories as possible and that importance meant that my life changed significantly after her birth because I did not do many things that didn't include her.  As a parent there are many changes that may seem like sacrifices to some but in reality there was no other way for me to have the type of present relationship that I wanted to have with her.  Of course there has been the learning curve that includes remembering that I am more than a mother and she is more than a daughter.  We are independent people with personalities, opinions, choices (I get veto... for now) and interests that are all important. 

So for 2011, I plan to continue having more moments that include me continuing to live my life in a way that remains present and invites joy.  I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be good!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment