Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

What is a throne with sh*t as the foundation?!

...and fools shall lead them

Oh, how I wish people would wake the hell up! Could there ever really be an intelligent and reasoned dialogue about the c*rap*tacular industry's assault on impressionable minds without some rabid fan frothing at the mouth to defend the industry or the artist that doesn't give enough of a d*mn about them?  Yes, they care about your money.  But you, not so much. The reason that I know they (they being the "artist" and their corporate overseers) don't care about you.  Here is but one example of many, Jay-Z and Kanye West's lyrics to their new and much celebrated (by the clueless) release Otis from their forthcoming album.


Watch The Throne

[Jay-Z]
Sounds so soulful don’t you agree
I invented swag
Poppin bottles putting supermodels in the cab
Proof
I guess I got my swagger back
Truth. New watch alert, Hublot’s
Or the big face Rollie I got two of those
Arm out the window through the city I maneuver slow
Cock back, snap back
See my cut through the holes
[Kanye West]
Damn Yeezy and Hov,
Where the hell ya been?
N*ggas talkin real reckless: stuntman
I adopted these n*ggas, Phillip Drummond them
Now I’m bout to make them tuck they whole summer in
They say I’m crazy but I’m ’bout to go dumb again
They aint see me cause I pulled up in my other Benz
Last week I was in my other other Benz
Throw your diamonds up cause we in this bitch and up again
[Jay-Z]
Photo shoot fresh
Looking like wealth
I’m about to call the paparazzi on myself
Uh, live form the Mercer, run up on Yeezy the wrong way
I might murk ya
Flee in the G450 I might surface
Political refugee asylum can be purchased
Uh, everythings for sale, I got 5 passports
I’m never going to jail
[Kanye West]
I made Jesus walks so never going to hell
Couture level flow is never going on sale
Luxury rap, the Hermes of verses
Sophisticated ignorance
Write my curses in cursive
I get it custom
You a customer
You aint accustomed to going through customs
You aint been nowhere huh?
And all the ladies in the house got them showing off
I’m done I hit ya up, manana!
[Jay-Z]
Welcome to Havanna
Smoking Cubana’s with Castro in Cabana’s
Viva Mexico, Cubana, Dominicano
All the plugs that I know
Driving Benz’s, With no benefits
Not bad huh? for some immigrants
Build your fences, we diggin’ tunnels
Can’t you see we gettin money up under you
[Kanye]
Can’t you see the private jets flying over you
Maybach bumper sticker read “What would Hova do?”
Jay is chillin, Ye is chillin
What more can I say
We killin’ ‘em
Hold up before we in this campaign
As you can see we bodied the damn lames
Lord please let them accept the things they cant change
And pray that all of their pain be champagne

What?! Can you say completely OUT OF TOUCH.  Yeah, it's the beat that catches you first but past that, then what?  Can't we just be offered the beat or the original sampled and leave the rest?  It is long overdue for black people-- that are still immersed in the idea that the current state of rap is a positive in our community-- to have higher expectations for their lives, their allegiances and their money! Jay-Z and Kanye are full of the same sh*t that they and many others in the "music" industry have built their careers on because, the general public, doesn't hold them accountable by withholding their support and their dollars.

For the record... this post is not just about Jay-Z, 41 and Kanye, 34 (who are still rapping about nonsensical garbage way past the age of knowing better) but their soon to be released album title lit the fuse.  I feel the same about the Common's, the Nicki Minaj's, Lil Wayne, TI, Rhianna and even the stans precious Beyonce. The state of the music industry in general is deplorable. There was a time when the music industry was more balanced (yes, although sh*t floats sometimes) because we had more variety. Now, because of a corporate culture that loves catering to debauchery and degradation--and who better than black people will willingly participate in their own degradation-- there has been a grand influx of sh*t over substance since the late 90's.

The last few generations of kids don't know a life without the garbage that is spewed in these lyrics.  What does that say about the real contribution that these rappers are making to the community of kids that are buying their albums. Talk about the plight, the pain, the hypocrisy in the world without demeaning others then it's time to CHOOSE to talk about a path towards self respect, self love and self actualization so that there can be positive growth.  The gutter is so often the go to because it's easy and accepts it all.  Why must black people always aim for it?

Here's to rappers that feel a sense of responsibility and accountability. Chuck D's notice to those with a public voice to be responsible.  He refers to Jay-Z and Kanye as hero's as to not offend... I could care less if they're offended because I find them and what they are selling offensive!



The lure of the gangster, the baller and the player is a cruel joke that is damaging every kid that believes it.  I don't want to hear one person say anything to defend these con artists by offering up (one or some) songs these rappers have done that aren't "so bad".  The entire body of work should be looked at because to only look at the so called  "good" songs they have done when its the bad ones that do so much damage would be ridiculous.  Some of these jackarses have the nerve to release books to decode what they meant and where they were in their life when they made certain decisions.  Why should anyone pay money to find that out?  It is not that complicated.  He did it because he was paid to and because he could.

How about this?  You, the "artist" spend your money or something worthwhile, like airtime, getting the  message out--that you haven't cared about the kids who are listening to your deceptive and intelligence corroding lyrics.  Of course I don't expect ANY of them to do this because it would hinder their ability to continue destroying young (and way too many adult) minds for profit.  The Jay's and the Ye's of the world are corporate employees and in every choice they make they have to do what they are told to do because when they signed their names to have that BIG life that they always dreamed of, they signed away their souls at the same time.

"It's just entertainment" is what too many people love to say as a way of lessening or deflecting the need to be accountable.  But the whole truth is, it's the entertainment of our destruction!

2 comments:

  1. Benz? Champagne? Diamonds? Cab????

    Really? Seriously? During a depression? Unemployment on the rise, POC taking the brunt, and THIS is the best these two have to offer us? Are we serious?

    ReplyDelete